Instructions for Authors
When you submit your manuscript to our bulletin, please provide the following:
- Article text as a Word, PDF or LaTeX file in unsecured format
- Numbered figures either included within or at the end of the text;
- A cover letter, including a statement of the importance of the work;
- A list of preferred reviewers; these should be entered in the manuscript submission system;
- You may also provide a table of contents entry at this stage, although this can wait until you send your revised manuscript. This should include a graphic (maximum size 8 cm x 4 cm) and one sentence of text (maximum 20 words) highlighting the novelty of the work.
- The submission system allows for up to five files to be uploaded at once. Alternatively a ZIP file containing up to 20 files can be uploaded. All files relating to a single manuscript should be uploaded simultaneously during one transaction
Format & layout of your article
Keep your writing clear and concise, avoiding repetition or embellishment. All submissions must be in English. We permit standard English and American spelling in our journals, but please use one or the other consistently within the article itself. You are welcome to use common or standard abbreviations; if your abbreviations are non-standard, please include a definition the first time you use them.
All articles accepted for publication in our journals are edited and typeset to our house style by professional editors: the manuscript will be formatted for you
- Start by introducing the conclusion of your article and concentrate on the main results.
- Introduce relevant co-workers and mix in images/footage of your laboratory, experiment and equipment to make it more engaging.
- On screen text should be used sparingly and be large enough to read clearly.
- Minimum frame size: 320 x 240 pixels; maximum 640 x 480.
- Frames per second: 25 to 30.
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3 preferred – please contact us regarding 16:9.
- The maximum size should be 15 MB – please contact us if this presents a problem
Figures & graphics
- Colour figures may be used free of charge both online and in print (we use CMYK colour model).
- Figures should be supplied as TIFF files, with a resolution of 600 dpi or greater.
- Files should fit within either single column (8.3 cm) or double column (17.1 cm) width, and must be no longer than 23.3 cm.
- Graphical abstracts (table of contents entry) should be no larger than 8 cm x 4 cm and be submitted along with one sentence of text (maximum 20 words) highlighting the novelty of the work.
- Schemes and structures should be drawn to make best use of single and double column widths.
- Photographs should be provided at the best resolution available (minimum 600 dpi) as TIFF, PDF or JPEG files.
- Biography photographs should be 4 cm wide x 5 cm high (individual photograph) or 8.3 cm wide x 5 cm high (group photograph)